Sunday, September 12, 2010

Adam does Arashiyama

I was stoked! Adam came to Japan after telling me when I left he'd be here to visit within a year...so I took him to the most beautiful place I've seen in Japan to date: Arashiyama - "Storm Mountain", in Kyoto.



It's a little touristy in the main centre (if you can call it a centre) but still much prettier compared to the stinky, crowded greyness of Osaka.



I got us hopelessly lost trying to find everything and anything, but we ended up at a cute cafe which served Japanese food (as opposed to American style "humbug" (hamburg(er), or pasta etc.



What was it? I don't know. Was it nice? ...yeeeah..? Did Adam like it? ...yep...
It was grapefruit flavoured something, probably rice based (you can make a gelatinous substance from rice). The green tea was lush though.



So after walking around in circles, we decided to ask this friendly Rickshaw driver to take us to Tenryu-ji Temple, which is what I wanted to show Adam. Oh yeah, and it was just around the corner. Nevermind.

It looks like we are in a giant wheelchair.






Poor bugger, lugging us heavies around. He was so sweaty, but was awesome and spoke English to us the whole time telling us about the place.



Finally we got to what I wanted to show Adam; the Sagano bamboo forest which lies outside of Tenryu-ji temple.



It is stunning.




This is a shot of the famous zen garden in the temple, but you really have to see it to feel it.

Some shots of the grounds:












Then we went to an Izakaya (Japan style pub/restaurant) and got served by this guy.



Temmabashi in Osaka, which reminds me of home.
Has lots of trees down the side of the river.



See ya mate!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment