Monday, October 19, 2009

Japan - Day One

So...here I am in Japan! Arrived on Sunday night, airport was a crazy experience. Colours, people waving at me come this way, go that way etc. It has been pretty hard so far - it's really crazy not understanding what people are saying to you, or not being able to read signs, or food labels. The culture shock makes me feel like an alien; and in fact I am just that. Got my registration yesterday, and the guy didn't speak English. I went to a supermarket yesterday and could have spent hours in there just looking at everything. I also went to a bookshop and saw that the number one J Pop group of the week is "Lonely Town". Sounds emo.



Started the morning off with a cup of tea - Janat; the flavour of Sicily, the taste of Paris. It's classy; my cat feels the same.



When you flush the toilet at my uncles place, this tap automatically goes over the cistern. I don't know how to feel about it...



Heard a strange noise as I went outside to the small garden - it was a crow!! The first I've ever seen. They are beautiful looking, quite large and scary. This photo doesn't do the size of the bird justice.



Oh yeah - my uncle lives right by a graveyard. The crows hang out there and are constantly swooping over it...



The biggest spider I've ever seen in my life. I want to go back to New Zealand now.




Another one eating a butterfly.



A view of a street in the Rokko neighbourhood, where I live.



The first night I got there, my uncle said that we would be taking the rubbish out, but to watch for wild pigs. Apparently Kobe is known for them, and my uncle lives up a hill nearer to the mountains. If you see one, you're supposed to freeze as they can attack. I had a nightmare about this that very night.



Arrived home after a long day feeling tired and crap, only to be greeted by FIVE identical black cats hanging out together. These are two - the others were spaced out evenly atop of this wall. They wouldn't come to me.

9 comments:

  1. Love this blog!!!! Yaaaayyyyyy! Great idea!

    Love the animals (crows, pigs and cats - spiders not so much) Can't wait for more! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild pigs, giant spiders, advanced super toilets, you aren't selling me on this Japan trip quite yet.... Awesome to hear you're settling in mate. Keep up the blog, this stuff is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cat picture rules. So, what you doin' in over yonder?? Funny enough, I'm gonna start working in a Japanese restaurant, here in NY. I don't know much about the food, but we'll learn right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Cre you are already experiencing some fine japanese adventures - jealous muchly- Im not even sure if I can coment here but Im going to anyway - keep updating - Im living vicariously through you!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know that the powers of 5 identical japanese cats can combine in moments of crisis to make one super cat right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, crows swooping over the graveyard. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete