Sunday, October 25, 2009

Japan - Day Seven

Was an interesting weekend, family dinner on Saturday night, BBQ on Sunday which was at my uncles friends place - James, with his wife Naoko.



Went to a place called Sayzeria for dinner (basically like Dennys). Smoking laws haven't changed here and you can still smoke in restaurants. Here's a pic of me and Maria, taken with my new cellphones camera. Maria is only 12 and goes to Juku, cram school, on top of regualar school. She has also appeared in a commercial for Hello Kitty Mints, and Rice (Star Spot).



This is Yuko, my uncles friend who came with us to the BBQ on Sunday. She said that I was big, but with little face. Thanks Yuko.



Yuko, my uncle Glenn and James making potato salad.



James has pets - a snake which I refused to touch or hold. Doesn't have a name. Not poisonous either, but I was still too scared.



He also has pet lizards, again not named.



The best pet of all though, is James and Naoko's baby DUMO!!! Look at him!!!



He is only six weeks old, with all of that hair. James is into fishing, art, books, African American history, food, music and Sumo.





Pictures from a Sumo tournament on TV, originally in Osaka. These two guys are the champs, so it was an intense match. I was surprised to see Sumo wrestlers from other countries in the tournament - Malaysia, Russia, Hawaii to name a few. Apparently these guys have the hunger and drive to get to the top. The winner of any match gets handed several envelopes full of cash. The process of becoming Sumo is extremely gruelling and is akin to top army training. I kept thinking about E Honda from Street Fighter.




Some nicer pictures of baby Dumo. He makes you work for a smile, I only got a cheek twitch. He really reads you with his eyes. I can't wait to hang out with him some more, he really is so cute.

1 comment: