Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Japan - Day Ten

It's Suiyoobi (Wednesday) and I had a job interview today with a company called Aim in Tanimachi, close to Namba I think. I had to take the Tanimachi train line to Tanimachi Kyu Chome Station. I can't figure out if that meant I was in Tanimachi Kyu Chome, or Chome. I had to take the train to Osaka first, and this time got a bit lost in the train station trying to find the Tanimachi line - I almost panicked but suppressed it. Anyhow, the interview was for a one to one tutoring job, where I sit with a student in a cafe, at their house or my place and get paid 500 yen per ten minutes, in cash. I think it went well; I had to give a demo lesson explaining the difference between "I went to" and "I have been to"...I said "I went to" is in the past, and needs to be defined by time, "I have been to" is more of a term you would describe an experience with. Am I right? Have NO IDEA!!!

The interviewer, Masa, was really nice and invited me to the Aim Halloween Party this coming Saturday night which will have staff, tutors and students. 2500 yen for all you can eat and drink. Sounds good to me!! Will be nice to meet some people here too, so I'm quite happy :)

Here are some pics I took today and yesterday, more around the neighbourhood shots, as I haven't really been anywhere else yet:



View of Rokko, uphill.



View of Port Rokko.



Rokko Cable Car - you go here if you want to go up into the mountains.



Construction site. You notice a few of these empty holes around Kobe, which are sites where houses collapsed in the 1995 earthquake. Reasons why sites are empty vary - from respect of the dead through to not being able to afford to rebuild. Another interesting impact of the earthquake is that Kobe has a really 90's architecture flavour.



View of Rokko, downhill.



Crow swooping to the left. Their wingspans are huge.





As you may be able to tell, I've become quite obsessed with the crows. A huge bunch of them were flying around in the sky today. Something must have disturbed them. Gutted these sky shots show my dirty lens up!!
Mark can you come to Japan and clean it for me?




Food review time. I am not sure what these delights are called exactly, lets go with Alfort biscuits as that's the only word I can read. These are tiny little ship chocolates with a mini biscuit on the other side!



Front



Back

As you can imagine, there aren't any left.

4 comments:

  1. Crows! Crows crows crows crows crows.

    Also, the biscuits are indeed Alfort, or Arufooto to the Japanese. I can recommend Black Thunder bars for the finest, cheapest chocolate fix at the conbini. They taste like Oreos but they're only like 32 yen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!!! Thank you very much for the recommendation!! I haven't really perused the shelves of Family Mart for their confectionary yet either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is all that's keeping me going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny, so glad you're reading it! I miss you greatly, saw some awesome Hello Kitty stuff in China Town yesterday. I can't wait til you can come here. You'll love it so much.

    ReplyDelete