Monday, November 23, 2009

Bottom Trawling TV

I REALLY miss Jetplanes - as in the lolly. There aren't any firm, gelatinous lollies which are up to my standards here. I'm eating some Haribo "Tropifruitti" crap right now, it's just not the same :'(

It was a long weekend here - not that my time here so far has been anything BUT a long weekend; that's gonna change soon I hope as I was accepted into a full time job which starts on December 2nd!! That was the last I heard from them - I'm waiting for more details, so I won't confirm in my head that I'm truly doing it until I get those details.

Still been working on Saturdays - and so my Friday night tradition has evolved into watching Japanese TV. It's awesome. Most shows revolve around a cast of Japanese "comedians" - I suppose they're more like "personalities" i.e the way you see Jason Gunn, Mark Ellis etc on every show in NZ. The shows are either the comedians doing weird stuff that I can't understand, or watching a video of someone else doing weird stuff and us observing the comedians reactions. There's one show though that I love - and it's all about bottom trawling!! Fishermen go out and scrape the bottom of the ocean for fish. If you know anything about bottom trawling, you'll know it's terrible because it ruins the oceans ecosystems, and much of the fish is discarded (in New Zealand anyway...) - so it's a lazy and destructive way of collecting fish, to simplify it.

HOWEVER - the fish they pull out are seriously from another planet, time, era, whatever. The creatures are fantastic - stuff that is all gelatinous and see through, that look like old men, giant eyes, electricity shooting through them, look like mud on one side with the consistency of mud, then turn them over and it's an octopus kinda thing. And the OTHER best thing is - they chuck whatever fish they find into a nabe - just a pot with water and an onion or something - boil it up, and eat it on the spot. My uncles girlfriend was here - we were saying "ewww" at all the stuff during the show, especially the mud octopus. Then I said "would you eat that?"
Without hesitation she said "yes".

No comments:

Post a Comment