Monday, November 30, 2009

Cellphone pics are the new Polaroids

On Friday went out for lunch with Glenn to an all-you-can-eat meat restaurant. It's Brazilian, and the waiters come around with meat on huge skewers and shave off bits onto a place. They annoyingly say to everyone "it's elephant" or "it's alligator" when they cut the meat onto your plate - yeah, yeah, yeah just give me the meat.(We didn't laugh). All cuts of beef, chicken and pig were included. Steaks too, plus a buffet of salad, rice and stew. All for the equivalent of $9 (if you class 1000 yen as $10. Literal NZ dollars it's a bit more). Anyhow, it's enough meat to make you turn vegetarian. I think I got a headache from all the meat. But I gotta say, I've felt amazing ever since I went there. This vegetarian diet I've been keeping has been a cost saving exercise and I like it; but nothing makes you feel as good as a nice cut of meat.

It was a beautiful day, so after lunch we went to walk off the meat and have a look around Sannomiya.


Took this at a hyakuen - 100 yen shop.
The sleepy owl that I bought Emily was there!!! I love them!!




Alice in Wonderland: is the chair big, or is Glenn small...?



The tiniest Christmas tree I've ever seen...



A tree...dressed like Santa.



I just couldn't resist this shot. The sky was stunning, so blue and clear. Kobe is truly beautiful.



This owl is REAL.



Look at how amazing this bird is. You can see where those ornaments come from.
It's actually pretty sad. He was for sale in a shop similar to the Warehouse. Hardware, bulk food, cheap clothes and shoes and pets in really small, hot enclosures.



A huge beetle. There were also snakes and massive tuatara-esque lizards for sale. Plus fish, rabbits, chinchillas, dogs etc. The snakes were in tiny little plastic boxes about the size of that beetles box, and they were pressed up against the lids - so I decided against taking a pic out of fear.



And this guy wanted to take my picture, and then I wanted to take his so we got one of those shots where we're BOTH taking a photo of each other!! Hilarious!!


Included this because Sarah and I hung out on Saturday night and did Karaoke. We realised we both have a very similar musical vein, and we did an excellent rendition of this song - she was Billy I was the female back up. Other songs and groups included Faith No More - Epic, Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored, Madonna - La Isla Bonita, LOADS of Cranberries for Irish's sake, token U2 although neither of our hearts were in it, Who - My Generation, Damned - New Rose, Ramones, Smiths, Notorius B.I.G and more. The rap bit at the end of Eyes Without a Face was fun. I love the guitar riff at the end. We decided that Billy Idol is underrated.

5 comments:

  1. D, we gots to do some karaoke soon. I did Now I Wanna Be Your Dog on Saturday night, solo, accompanying myself on tamboreen. It was the best karaoke I've ever done.

    ...

    I was very, very drunk at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did i ever tell you, for 2 years i'd been saying to shop assistants "No thanks, I don't need an owl"... because i mixed up the japanese word for plastic bag :/
    like your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I like the writhing-around-on-a-cloud bit in the Billy Idol video. In the 80s, smoke machines were always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...You're not allowed to make new friends...

    ReplyDelete