Monday, November 16, 2009

That's Entertainment

All of the schools and university's in Japan have these festival days, and I guess they are kind of an equivalent to our Orientation days. They always get some huge band or comedian (Japanese on both accounts) to come play and there are exhibitions, stalls etc. Kobe University, my local, had theirs on Sunday and I think the theme was Jazz and Rock. My uncle said I should go, so I begrudgingly went; expecting twee everything which I wasn't in the mood for. But it turned out to be pretty awesome.

That same day two Japanese girls my age came over to meet me - their names were Mio and Nacho. NACHO! Heeheheheheeee. We're going to go do something sometime, perhaps go out for dinner...Mexican?



Before I begin: Here's Col Sanders in a Santa Suit, snapped in Itami. It gives me the creeps.

Completely off topic here, but Christmas in Japan is a day to take your boyfriend or girlfriend on a date. Apparently KFC is a big choice of venue! Also they celebrate Christmas on the 24th.



I arrived, and walked into the university. I was drawn to some grungy psychedelic guitar sounds with organs. These were the guys responsible for said sounds. The band is complete with a nerdy drummer. They were really good.



You can tell they like Kurt Cobain. There's nothing wrong with that!



Band list. I think I was either watching Kasuppa, or the one at 15.20.
I wish I saw My Chemical Robinz.



I think I told you that Rokko, my area, is famous for these wild pigs that roam around and are known to attack. They must do their studies at Kobe University first.



Hmm, how can I explain this...



Well, after the first band, I heard some punk guitar noise, so followed it. I stood to watch (I should mention I was the only foreigner on campus) and these guys sidled up to me, trying to make fun of the foreigner. The guy on the far right asked me to put on the glasses. I was thrilled, and got them to take a picture. They didn't anticipate that I would want to play. I thus won their respect. Then all through the performance they guys kept coming up and giving me "presents" - noodles, two beaten up drum sticks, a neck of a guitar broken off from the body...I had to say no to the last gift.

They are the most "alternative" Japanese guys I've seen so far - everyone else dresses very much in fashion. They reminded me of guys at home.



They all had eggs. I was nervous that they were going to egg me. After I turned down the head and neck of the guitar, I suggested they use the neck like a baseball bat, and hit some eggs with it (naturally). This guy responded quite positively to my suggestion. He put eggs under his mask, and insisted we hit the eggs with the guitar. Ok!!


You will notice he has eggs in place of his eyes.
It looked hilarious when they were intact!!


Proud Samurai Eggio-San.



Eggio-San posing with the guitar neck. I think part of Japanese schooling must be on how to do the coolest poses for the camera.


Ok fun's over. Sunset time.



The next noise I was drawn to was the sound of Japanese Cheerleaders.



They're similar to American Cheerleaders except they're cute and exciting!!



The guys roles are way different. They either stand with their hands on their hips, legs akimbo (always wanted to use that word) and scream; or they come to the front and do all of these fast martial art type movements.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT !!!! I LOVE YOUR WRITING, I LOVE JAPAN AND I TOTALLY LOVE THE CULTURE THERE. IM TOTALLY GONNA LIVE IN JAPAN AFTER UNIVERSITY!!! I MEAN.. HOPEFULLY :D

    ReplyDelete